Heart & Home Reflection and Assessment Questions
In our newest sermon series, The Journey, we will be digging deeper into one of the six Essential Practices that the New Testament teaches are necessary to grow in our Discipleship Journey
January 7, 2018
Living as Worship - We celebrate God with our whole lives. Submission is our loving response to who God is and all that he has done.
- As a parent, how is my response to God evidenced/demonstrated in my family context?
- If asked, would my family identify God as the one that I worship above all else?
- What could I do as a parent to cultivate a heart of worship in our home (i.e. play worship music, prioritize a regular devotional time, talk about the meaning of worship as a family and the things that get in the way of worship)
January 14, 2018
Partnering by Prayer - We live by Spirit-led prayer. It deepens or dependency on God and increases our intimacy with God.
- How am I teaching my family to pray?
- If I don't know how to pray, what resources can I consider in order to support this initiative?
- Do my kids see me praying?
- How healthy is my prayer life and what needs to change for it to be a greater influence in our family life?
- How can I make prayer a priority in our home?
- Is there a devotional plan online that we could do as a family around the supper table that would bolster our understanding of prayer?
Family Challenge - Start a prayer journal together and include a section that accounts for answered prayer. Pray together once a week. Consider together what the barriers are to prayer and what we need to do to remove them or overcome them. Memorize as a family: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" James 5:16
January 21, 2018
Listening to God's Word - We root ourselves in God's Word. By hearing and doing biblical truth, we become more like Christ.
- Discuss at one dinner time together the power of words vs the power of God's Word.
- What words have affected you negatively, what does the Word of God say about those words?
- Memorize 1-2 verses as a family (i.e. Ps.119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Prov. 3:5,6)
- Discuss today's popular music. How are the words and lyrics of today's music different than the past and does this mean anything or, how is what does it matter what we say with our words, or what we listen to in our music?
- Dinner convo: Mother Teresa said: 'Words that do not share the light of Christ increase the darkness' what does this mean?
- Lead your family by spending time in the word daily, or read through the Bible in a year.
Jan. 28, 2018
Sharing in Community - We were made for community. As we care for and share with one another all we have in Christ, we reflect our relational God.
- Who supports me in my effort to be a godly parent?
- Who might I pull in order to be better supported (mentor, life group member, devo plan that speaks to parenting issues)?
- What resources have I explored that are available at Springvale that might fit my needs (i.e. Parent Collective initiatives, life group etc)?
- Do my kids have community?
- Do I encourage and give support and health community?
- Do I prioritize supportive and healthy community?
- Discuss around the supper table: 1 Cor 12:33 says, "Do not be misled, bad company corrupts good character." Do you agree, disagree?
Feb. 4, 2018
Loving through Service - We Sacrifice to meet the needs of others. As God has blessed us wth time, resources and abilities, we too bless others.
- What can we do as a family service project?
- Lead your family in an effort to serve one of your neighbours (a. offer to shovel their snow through the winter, or b. bring over baked goods to someone who is new(ish) to the street and introduce yourself, and even c. let them know you are available if they need anything).
- Lead your family in an effort to serve in the broader community (participate in Coldest Night of they Year or another ministry that serves people directly, do something for the refugee family that is coming to Stouffville - to make them feel comfortable or help them with a need, find a team to volunteer on at Springvale).
- Memorize Phil. 2:3b-4, "In humility value others about yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."
Feb 18, 2017
Going on Mission - We are all meant to join God's mission. Through our words and our actions we invite people around us into God's kingdom through reconciliation in Jesus Christ.
- Dinner conversation: How are we succeeding in this concept of mission as parents and/or as a family?
- If we asked our neighbours would they recognize us as a redemptive presence? if not, what could we do differently?
- How can we make this a priority in prayer or in service and/or what might God be challenging me to do in response to his word?
- Create or claim a mission statement as a family that includes this concept of mission, i.e. "claim" Micah 6:8 "act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God." (explore practical ways you can commit to do this as a family). Create a goal as a family. For instance, "small things often" (make an effort as a family to do small things often for your neighbours as a family and watch how God uses it).
- Agree together as a family that you will host a neighbour/a few neighbours for a BBQ or Christmas open house or even a games night (where there may be kids same age or single parent etc.).