This is our ministry for students in grades 6, 7 & 8. It's a crazy, fun community where we are on a continued journey in learning about God together!
What we ARE PAssionate about
Our heart is that our Junior Highers would build a strong community of friends with solid influences in their life, but our passion is seeing them start to take ownership of their faith and grow in their relationship and understanding of God. We provide opportunities for Junior Highers to Belong, Grow and Serve through our programs and events.
It is important to know that our ministry works best when a youth is involved in all aspects of the ministry. Each program is designed to fulfill a specific purpose within our Discipleship process and together they work as a whole.
Partnering with Parents
We recognize that parents are the primary spiritual influence in a youth's life and our role is to partner with parents in this journey. Our partnership lives out in many different ways:
- Consistent communication on what is going on and what is being taught.
- Open Door Policy for parents to talk to us about what is happening in your youth's life.
- Resources...check out recommended resources webpage!
- We look for opportunities for parents to connect with leaders directly.
We need some things from parents too!
- Make involvement in Junior High a priority in your youth's calendar.
- Meet your youth's leaders and get to know them, encourage them in their work with your youth.
- Pray for the ministry and leaders consistently.
- Tell us what is going well, what are some of your concerns and if you need resources. We will do our best to point you in the right direction!
What we Do
Big Ticket Events
Our Big Ticket Events are where we get together as one big group and do something amazing! Mission Impossible at the church is a classic but it could also be something like going to E-Zone or Laser Tag.
All Tribe Programs
Our All Tribe program right now is our Sunday Class at Springvale during the school year. It is a great time for us all to get together and dig a little deeper into God's Word. We might also do an All Tribe Serve Project 1 or 2 times/year.
Tribe Small Groups
A Tribe is a smaller group gathering mid-week where we can hangout with friends but spend a good chunk of time learning about God through reading his Word and prayer. All Junior High Tribes use the same curriculum so we are all studying the same thing. Tribes happen 2-3 times/month and are for all grades combined however sometimes we may split up in certain ways due to the topic we are studying.
We usually have two retreats a year including Bedlam at Muskoka Woods in the fall. Yep! Bedlam - it is exactly as it sounds! We also do another in spring.
Our missions week for Junior Highers typically happens in the summer. In the past we have served at Adventure Camp at Springvale in the morning and done serve projects around the GTA in the afternoon. You need to apply to be a part of this week and one of the expectations is that you have been consistently involved in Springvale Junior High for at least 6 months.